No spam. We promise.
The purpose of this Water Roadmap report from WTTC and Accenture is to emphasise water scarcity and resilience as two significant global challenges and to highlight the role the Travel & Tourism sector can play in responding to the water crisis.
The report’s features include:
· Unique data on Travel & Tourism’s water use, water intensity and water stress at a global and regional level between 2010 and 2021.
· An explanation of water-related risks and challenges, and the need to make changes to meet the water-related targets of UN SDG (Sustainable Development Goal) 6.
· A Water Management Action Framework, outlining four key steps to guide Travel & Tourism businesses on reducing their water footprint and building resilience to water-related risks.
· Examples of best practice initiatives undertaken by Travel & Tourism businesses.
· The role that digital technologies can play in providing solutions to water challenges.
· A call to action to Travel & Tourism businesses to set water targets, prioritise and allocate resources for water reduction and risk mitigation initiatives, foster collaboration, and monitor and report progress.
· A call to action for the public sector, including governments, regulators, water management agencies and basin authorities, to encourage and facilitate collective action.
· Web Links to additional resources.
Our unique data in this report is a result of the partnership between WTTC and the Ministry of Tourism of Saudi Arabia, with support from Oxford Economics.
The specific methodology for researching the data on water use, intensity and stress is explained in Appendix A within the report.
However, this forms just one part of our broader research into, and data analysis of, the environmental and social impact of Travel & Tourism.
To read our report on the Environmental Impact of Global Tourism, click here.
For further details on the Methodology for that report, see the Travel & Tourism Environmental & Social Impact Methodology.